Borussia Dortmund: Favre backing Marco Reus despite fears he'll miss the rest of the season
There has been speculation over Marco Reus' fitness with reports that his season could be over, but Dortmund coach Lucien Favre is remaining optimistic.
Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre is not giving up on Marco Reus playing again this season despite reports claiming that the player is unlikely to play until 2020/21. Reus suffered a groin injury during a DFB-Pokal match in February, and although he was only thought to be facing a month out, the 30-year-old still has not been able to return to full training. It was reported earlier in the week that Reus will definitely miss next Tuesday's Klassiker against Bayern Munich, and an absence until the end of the season is likely.
Dortmund still waiting on Reus
Favre, speaking ahead of Saturday's trip to Wolfsburg, refused to openly confirm or contradict those claims, though he did appear hopeful that Reus would be able to feature again this season as Dortmund challenge Bayern for the Bundesliga title.
"He hasn't trained with the team yet," Favre told reporters. "We hope that he will come back as soon as possible and can help us until the end of the season."
Favre pregame presser:— Borussia Dortmund (@BlackYellow) May 22, 2020
“Axel Witsel won't be ready, but Emre Can and Gio Reyna fully trained again today. Marco Reus still hasn't trained with the team yet. We still hope that he will be back soon.” pic.twitter.com/47FfGvxyFv
Dortmund's injury concerns
There was positive news with respect to Emre Can and Giovanni Reyna. The midfield pair missed the 4-0 win over Schalke as Dortmund resumed their season last Saturday, and they are due to be involved in team training on Friday. Dortmund have had to contend with numerous injuries of late, with Axel Witsel still out with a muscular problem and Dan-Axel Zagadou set for a long absence due to a knee ligament injury, but Favre feels such issues were to be expected following the coronavirus-enforced pause.
"We trained first in groups of two, then in groups of four. There is a certain danger," he said. "We all did not train normally and then had to train properly four or five days before a championship game, duels. This is not a big surprise for me."
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG Mbappé is a fantastic guy - Pochettino backs PSG forward
- BARCELONA Ronald Koeman receives two-match ban for red card
- MLB The regular season is closing in, and the division champions are not yet decided
- FINANCIAL NEWS Is the Evergrande bankruptcy affecting the US stock market?
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US: are the new variants more dangerous for children?