Chelsea: Lampard not rushing Kepa decision after dropping goalkeeper
Chelsea manager Frank Lampard dropped Kepa Arrizabalaga for the final game of the season against Wolves, but will wait to assess his options.
Frank Lampard will wait until the end of the season to assess his Chelsea squad after dropping goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. The 25-year-old has come under fire for his performances this season and was replaced by Willy Caballero in the starting XI as Chelsea beat Wolves 2-0 in the Premier League on Sunday, securing a top-four finish.
Key games against Arsenal and Bayern coming up
Chelsea face Arsenal in the FA Cup final on Saturday and then meet Bayern Munich in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie, having lost the opening match 3-0. Lampard said he was not making a decision on his goalkeepers just yet, with the club linked with a move for Atlético Madrid's Jan Oblak.
"The idea that we haven't kept enough clean sheets is definitely not just a reflection of the goalkeeper, that's something that we have to work on as a team, look at how we train and maybe how we recruit going forward," the Chelsea boss told a news conference. "I don't want to pinpoint it on Kepa. Kepa decision was a choice, probably on recent form and recent situation, a tough time for him. I felt like Willy coming in with confidence, off the back of a strong performance against Man United last week was what we needed for the game. I don't want to jump forward beyond the Arsenal game next week. It would be wrong. The squad is really strong at the moment as a unit, how they are on and off the pitch"I want that to stay for one more week domestically, then Bayern Munich. Looking to next season after that."
Kepa became the world's most expensive goalkeeper when he arrived at Chelsea from Athletic Club for €80m in 2018.
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops