Swiss league proposes half-full stadiums next season
Switzerland's professional soccer league (SFL) has proposed compulsory masks for spectators and a ban on travelling fans as a way of allowing more people into stadiums from next season.
The SFL said it believed such measures would allow it to use at least half the existing capacity in each stadium when the new season starts on Sept. 11.
"A return to normal as soon as possible is of central importance for the survival of the clubs," it said in a statement.
The two divisions of the Swiss league were halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic and re-started in June with up to 1,000 people allowed to attend matches under government regulations.
"However, this measure has in no way improved the economic situation of the football clubs," said the SFL, adding that, unlike bigger leagues, its clubs depended heavily on matchday receipts to survive.
The SFL said that its health protocol for next season, which would have to be approved by the government, included "a general obligation to wear masks in all stadium areas", a ban on away and standing fans, and other accompanying measures.
"From the new season onwards, the football matches should again be accessible to a wider audience," it said. "If the urgently needed income is not forthcoming, many football clubs will soon be threatened with insolvency."
⚠️ Update: The player, which tested positive on Tuesday, has been tested negative today. Thus he can leave quarantine and will rejoin the team. It is likely that the positive test on tuesday was a false positive. #FCBasel1893 #zämmestark https://t.co/5v68wskJmE— FC Basel 1893 🇬🇧 (@FC_Basel_en) July 25, 2020
The current season ends on Aug. 3.
Switzerland has seen a rise of coronavirus cases in July with new infections regularly passing the 100-per-day barrier.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What is Walmart's buy now, pay later program? Why is the layaway program discarded?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano eruption today: evacuation, possible tsunami and live updates
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- NFL | JAGUARS Jags QB Lawrence vows not to 'play timid' after throwing seven interceptions
- NFL | BUCS Brady demands Bucs learn from Rams defeat
- Rodgers convinced last-gasp turnaround gives Packers 'legitimacy' as Super Bowl contenders