Ghanaian president says airport re-opening hinges on Covid-19 testing capacity
Ghana's borders will remain closed until airport medical authorities are able to test all arriving passengers.
President Nana Akufo-Addo said decisions on the re-opening of international flights will be tied to the ability of airport medical personnel to test all arriving passengers for coronavirus.
In his 15th address to the nation, Akufo-Addo said the ability of health officials at Kotoka International Airport (KIA) to test all passengers arriving on scheduled international flights will determine whether or not the airport can re-open by 1 September 2020.
The Ghanian president said in a statement: “I know many still ask when our borders, especially our international airport, Kotoka International Airport, will be opened. Under my instruction, the Ministry of Aviation, the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority and the Ghana Airports Company Limited have been working, with the Ministry of Health and its agencies, to ascertain our readiness to reopen our airport".
President hopes to open KIA by 1 September
Akufo-Addo added that prior to opening borders, he wants to ensure that every single arriving passenger will be tested for Covid-19 to prevent any further spread of the infection.
All Ghanaian borders have been closed and international flights stopped since March, following the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
The president also added that, until further notice, Ghana's air, land and seas borders will remain closed to passenger transport.. However, "special dispensation will continue to be given" to bring stranded Ghanaians back home, where they will be subjected to the mandatory quarantine and safety protocols.
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Jadon Sancho sets Bundesliga assist record in Arminia win
- FOOTBALL Transfer news round-up: Liverpool eyeing Gerard return as Klopp exit looms
- BOXING Canelo finishes Yildirim in three rounds to retain world titles
- NBA Mavs snap Nets' eight-game winning streak, Embiid scores 42 but 76ers lose in OT
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT 2021 Will I be able to apply for a third stimulus check and $3000 child tax credit?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | How much, who qualifies, Child tax credit | Live