Ghanaian president says airport re-opening hinges on Covid-19 testing capacity
Ghana's borders will remain closed until airport medical authorities are able to test all arriving passengers.
President Nana Akufo-Addo said decisions on the re-opening of international flights will be tied to the ability of airport medical personnel to test all arriving passengers for coronavirus.
In his 15th address to the nation, Akufo-Addo said the ability of health officials at Kotoka International Airport (KIA) to test all passengers arriving on scheduled international flights will determine whether or not the airport can re-open by 1 September 2020.
The Ghanian president said in a statement: “I know many still ask when our borders, especially our international airport, Kotoka International Airport, will be opened. Under my instruction, the Ministry of Aviation, the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority and the Ghana Airports Company Limited have been working, with the Ministry of Health and its agencies, to ascertain our readiness to reopen our airport".
President hopes to open KIA by 1 September
Akufo-Addo added that prior to opening borders, he wants to ensure that every single arriving passenger will be tested for Covid-19 to prevent any further spread of the infection.
All Ghanaian borders have been closed and international flights stopped since March, following the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
The president also added that, until further notice, Ghana's air, land and seas borders will remain closed to passenger transport.. However, "special dispensation will continue to be given" to bring stranded Ghanaians back home, where they will be subjected to the mandatory quarantine and safety protocols.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Caeleb Dressel 100m swimming, medal count, results, today 29 July
- Stimulus Checks $1000 stimulus check for educators: how to claim it if I haven't received it
- US NEWS Disgraced USA Gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar has received $2,000 in stimulus checks
- LA GALAXY ‘Chicharito’ Hernández to miss his sixth consecutive MLS game due to injury
- Olympic Games | Gymnastics How tall and what age are the USA gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Jade Carey, the US gymnast replacing Simone Biles at the Olympics?