Messi 'decision made to leave' report based on fake audio
Lionel Messi was reported by La Nación to have already made the decision along with his wife and was preparing for life in Manchester with Pep Guardiola. All wasn't as it seemed.
According to the Argentine newspaper La Nación Lionel Messi has confessed clearly that his future lies away from FC Barcelona and with Manchester City. But after this was reported, questions were quickly made about its veracity.
Messi audio called into question
Based on the report on Wednesday evening, the player had declared that a decision had been made on his future lying with the Premier League club, and linking up with his former manager Pep Guardiola.
"I made the decision with Antonela [his wife] to leave Barça,” he was reported to have said. “It hurts my soul, but it’s done. This chapter has been closed.”
"I'm going to talk to Pep so that he can arrange for my arrival at City. The football there is spectacular and aligns to what I want," he was believed to have added.
It didn't take long, however, amid the noise over the Argentine legend's announcement on Tuesday for it to be called out as untrue. Guillem Balague for one pointed to the audio sounding like an impersonator.
The fake audio:
Follow all the latest on this story in our live blog.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Why is the social security Cost-of-Living Adjustment for 2022 projected at 6.0% to 6.1%?
- NFL Injury struck Baltimore Ravens face the Kansas City Chiefs
- Emmy Awards 2021 How are Emmy awards chosen?
- EMMY AWARDS 2021 2021 Emmy Awards: Times, TV, how to stream and watch online
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Klopp gives lowdown after win over Crystal Palace
- LIGUE 1 PSG vs Lyon, how and where to watch - Messi home debut, times, TV, online