India continues lifting restrictions as Covid-19 cases surge
India is speeding up plans to lift all restrictions and begin the return to normality by implementing "unlock 4" despite surging Covid-19 cases.
India is set to enter a new phase of easing restrictions, entitled, "Unlock 4". Among the restrictions to be lifted, subway trains will be operate for the first time since lockdown was imposed several months ago - despite the record daily-high Covid-19 cases the country is witnessing.
India has reported more than 75,000 new Covid-19 cases for five days in a row. The country registered a global record single-day spike in cases last Wednesday with 85,687 new infections were reported more than any other country since the start of the pandemic.
However, according to the figures released by the ministry of health, India's coronavirus death toll is not a cause for alarm when compared to the caseload; 64,469 deaths have been reported up until Sunday with a fatality rate standing at 1.79%.
Despite all these developments, Unlock 4 is set to commence as of 1 September as per the orders of the Ministry of Home Affairs. country's metro rail services are to return in a "graded manner" on 7 September for the first time since they were suspended in March when the first complete lockdown was imposed in the country.
With the new rules implemented, up to 100 people will be allowed to gather for sports, entertainment, cultural, religious, and political events away from containment zones given that face masks should be worn and social distance should be maintained. Schools and colleges will remain closed until the end of September, although up to 50% of the teaching staff will be allowed to return to campus to teach online courses, and students from Years 9 to 12 can also return on a voluntary basis.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos at NFL Draft 2021: Which players could they pick?
- UFC Dana White wants UFC to return to Mexico
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN IRS $3,000 child tax credit: when will the monthly payments begin?
- EARTH DAY 2021 What is the Earth Day and why it's celebrated today?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Will the IRS send supplemental payments to 2020 tax filers?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: what entities are pressuring Biden to make a new payment?