India's Covid-19 case tally leaps to 4.3 million
Amid uncontrollable daily surges, India's caseload surpassed the 4.3 million mark as the country reported 89,706 new Covid-19 infections on Wednesday.
India, the second worst-hit country in the coronavirus pandemic, registered 89,706 more Covid-19 infections on Wednesday, according to the data released by the federal health ministry. This continues the series of sharp spikes in cases that the country has been struggling with for over a month, and takes its caseload since the pandemic started up to 4.3 million.
India has been reporting the highest numbers of new infections globally while its case tally has recently surpassed that of Brazil, which put the country second on the list of the worst impacted nations during the pandemic following the US.
1,115 new coronavirus deaths
Although the country managed to achieve a good fatality rate, it appears that this rate might be rising in the upcoming days as India has been reporting more than 1,000 deaths for eight days in a row, with 1,115 new deaths reported in the last 24 hours to raise the death toll in the second-most populous country in the world up to 73,890.
India continues easing of lockdown restrictions
Recent Covid-19 spikes however didn’t hold the central administration back from implementing the fourth phase of lifting lockdown restrictions that got underway at the beginning of September in an attempt to revive the country's economy which has received an extremely serious hit during the pandemic.
India's economy is currently considered the worst among the world's biggest economies after shedding almost 24% during the second quarter of the year. In addition, millions of jobs have been lost since the imposition of the first lockdown in March.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Coronavirus stimulus checks Second stimulus check update: US coronavirus relief bill
- UFC UFC 254: Emotional Khabib announces retirement after beating Gaethje
- US Election 2020 Early voting in Florida: when will it end and where can I vote?
- Halloween What's the origin, meaning and history of Halloween?
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID Real Madrid edge ahead of Barcelona in historical rivalry