Raja Casablanca 0-1 Zamalek: Bencharki heads Egyptian giants closer to Champions League final
Achraf Bencharki headed Egyptian outfit Zamalek into a strong position ahead of the home leg in their Champions League battle with Raja.
Zamalek edged ahead in their CAF Champions League semi-final against Raja Casablanca as Achraf Bencharki's header secured a 1-0 first-leg victory.
Winger Bencharki made the difference at the Mohamed V Complex in Casablanca, to put his side in the ascendancy ahead of the teams meeting again in Egypt on Saturday.
Zamalek, the five-time African champions, survived an early penalty appeal when Soufiane Rahimi went to ground and wanted a spot-kick.
They nudged in front in the 18th minute, with Zizo's cross from the right perfectly flighted to the far post where Bencharki rose well to head into the net.
Rahimi threatened with a header that almost crept in as Moroccan champions Raja fought back, looking to level the tie.
Youssef Obama then spurned a great second-half chance to give Zamalek a two-goal cushion, seeing his close-range shot charged down.
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms