Chivas lose 2-0 to Cruz Azul with two games left of the 2020 Guardianes tournament
Prior to this game, three Chivas players had tested positive for covid-19, so the coach Víctor Manuel Vucetich had to make adjustments to face Cruz Azul.
Even though the home team had the majority of the possession (62%) they didn’t know how to culminate the plays they tried to generate. Chivas had seven shots but none of them were on target and once again they showed how poorly the attack has been performing this tournament.
In 15 games Guadalajara have scored 15 goals and conceded 14. During the first half Cruz Azul struck first. A penalty-kick was awarded for Cruz Azul in the 41st minute and Jonathan Rodríguez scored the first goal of the game before the first half ended.
Late goal defined the game
Chivas sought to turn things around in the second half after a very intense 45 minutes. In the 52nd minute Alexis Vega displayed a great solo run, but his cross was blocked by a defender. Then in the 61st minute ‘JJ’ Macías received a gorgeous ball from Miguel Ponce, but the striker’s shot went wide.
Chivas were not sharp on Sunday night because all of the shots on goal kept going wide. Once again the team tried to level the game when in the 70th minute Uriel Antuna fired a right-footer shot from outside the box and once again it went wide.
Cruz Azul were sharp and lethal because during stoppage time Jonathan Rodríguez scored his second goal of the game, giving the visiting team the three points. Cruz Azul is in the second place with 29 points, while Chivas holds on to seventh place with 22.
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham 'just a pony' in Premier League title race? Lampard disagrees with Mourinho
- CYBER MONDAY Cybermonday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair
- US Election Election USA 2020: why did Donald Trump pay $3 million for recount in Wisconsin?
- US News Cyber Monday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target
- US News Walmart, Amazon and Macy´s: Black Friday returns policies
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: latest on US coronavirus relief bill