Los Angeles' sports teams political contributions
Sports and politics go hand-by-hand in the United States and a lot of owners have publicly shown their support for one of the presidential candidates this year.
Los Angeles is one of the few cities in the United States that has at least one franchise in the major sports of the country. In this case the City of Angels has two NFL, MLS, NBA, MLB and NHL teams. The owners of their respective franchise also contribute a lot in the presidential elections every four years.
Political activism of owners and partners
The Los Angeles Times published a report that showed where each team of the city stands with the current presidential candidates. According to this report Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden drew $642,200 in support from owners of Los Angeles’ sports teams.
On the other hand, Republican President Donald Trump, who is seeking reelection, obtained $7,971 from owners of Los Angeles’ sports teams. Both groups combined collected more than $18 million with the majority of the money coming from one family.
Steve and Connie Ballmer owned the Los Angeles Clippers from the NBA and they gave “half of their nearly $15 million political spending spree on promoting California proposition 16 and 25,” according to the report from the LA Times. Also Connie Ballmer gave a $7 million donation to everytown for Gun Safety Victory Fund, due to the shooting in the past years.
How much money is each team donating?
- Lakers $14,937 - Both Parties
- Clippers $14,782,100 - Democrats
- Dodgers $182, 550 - Both Parties
- Angels $74,800 - Republicans
- LA Galaxy/LA Kings $1 464,575 - Democrats
- LAFC $1,165,100 - Democrats
- Ducks $88,400
- Angel City FC $185,958
- Chargers $318,173 - Republicans
Te recomendamos en English
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- CORONAVIRUS What has Dr Fauci said about the covid-19 Delta variant and lockdowns?
- NFL Nick Foles plays down Colts trade talk: "I'm a Chicago Bear now"
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 03 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Recap: Biles takes bronze, Thompson-Herah makes history