Borussia Dortmund lose Haaland to hamstring injury
Erling Haaland missed Borussia Dortmund's Champions League clash with Lazio after suffering a muscle injury.
Borussia Dortmund have confirmed striker Erling Haaland has suffered a hamstring injury.
The Norway star was left out of the squad for Wednesday's Champions League clash with Lazio at Signal Iduna Park.
Dortmund tweeted to confirm the 20-year-old has a muscle problem, which he reportedly sustained in training.
The news is a blow for Lucien Favre's side, who will secure qualification for the last 16 by avoiding defeat to lazio.
Haaland has scored 16 goals in the competition at a rate of one every 56 minutes, which is the best average of any player with at least 10 goals in the competition. He is just three short of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's record of 19 for a Norwegian player.
56 - @ErlingHaaland is averaging a goal every 56 minutes of play in the @ChampionsLeague - the best ratio of all players with 10+ goals in the competition's history. Gigantic. #UCL @BlackYellow pic.twitter.com/qPXZDvkOxQ— OptaFranz (@OptaFranz) December 2, 2020
Former Salzburg striker Haaland also has 10 goals in eight Bundesliga appearances in 2020-21 for a Dortmund side who sit four points behind leaders Bayern Munich after nine games.
They face Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday before next Tuesday's final Champions League group game against Zenit.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?