Robinho's nine-year prison sentence for rape upheld
The 36-year-old Brazilian's appeal was thrown out by a Milan court. Along with five other people Robinho was found guilty of sexually assaulting a 22-year-old Albanian woman in 2013.
Ronbinho's appeal over a nine-year prison sentence for rape has been thrown out by a court in Milan. The player was found guilty, along with five other people, of sexually assaulting a 22-year-old Albanian woman on 22 January, 2013.
Robinho at the time was playing for AC Milan, following his 2010 transfer from Manchester City.
The original trial court held that the Albanian woman was gang-raped by Robinho and five other people at a Milan nightclub called Sio Café.
The Brazilian still has the possibility of a further appeal to a higher court in Italy. In Italy until all avenues of appeal are exhausted the presumption of innocence applies.
Even if any further appeal were to be unsuccessful it is not clear whether Robinho would serve his sentence. The player is currently in Brazil and the country's constitution does not allow the extradition of any natural born citizen of citizen. Brazilian law does however permit the possibility of an offender being forced to face punishment in Brazil if the crime committed in Italy is also a crime there, which it is.
Robinho's contract suspended by Santos
Santos signed Robinho on 10 October this year, but after fans vociferously complained and sponsors threatened to cut contracts, the club suspended the deal with the 36-year-old player. According to the club the suspension was done "in order for the player to concentrate exclusively on his defence in the ongoing case in Italy."
Te recomendamos en English
- Liverpool Klopp: Mbappe, Haaland will think twice if Liverpool can't offer Champions League football
- CSL Chinese Super League counts the cost of the boom years
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid, Liverpool and Juve keen on Lyon's Houssem Aouar
- NBA NBA All-Star weekend: who were the Hall of Famers in 2020?
- CORONAVIRUS Biden criticises “Neanderthal” decision to remove mask mandates
- COPA DEL REY Barcelona vs Sevilla: result, summary and goals