Zack Steffen keeps a clean sheet in the FA Cup for Man City
The United States international keeps impressing head coach Pep Guardiola who suggested Ederson is now under real pressure for the starting role.
Zack Steffen made his third consecutive start for Manchester City since starting goalkeeper Ederson tested positive for coronavirus in late-December. The United States international kept a clean sheet for the second game in a row as Manchester City defeated Birmingham 3-0 in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup on Sunday.
Your City line-up in the #FACup!— Manchester City (@ManCity) January 10, 2021
XI | Steffen, Cancelo, Dias, Walker, Mendy, Rodrigo, Mahrez, De Bruyne (C), Foden, Bernardo, Jesus
SUBS | Ederson, Stones, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Zinchenko, Delap, Harwood-Bellis, Nmecha, Mbete
🔷 #ManCity pic.twitter.com/t6CTsZaqEE
Ederson is now fully recovered from covid-19 and he was available to play on Sunday, but head coach Pep Guardiola decided to keep Steffen who has been delivering solid performances for the Citizens. Earlier this week, Guardiola praised the United States international and now he is suggesting that Ederson is under real pressure for the starting role.
“Steffen can fight for No 1 role. He can put pressure on Eddie, but Eddie is our No 1 in this position right now. If he performs well, he stays No 1. But we cannot forget that Steffen played at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford and solved all the situations he faced brilliantly,” said Guardiola.
Zack Steffen also talked after the game about being the No 1 goalkeeper in the last three matches for Manchester City and he said that he feels ready and hopes Guardiola also feels the same way.
“Yeah I love playing and it was great to get out there for a couple of games. I felt confident, I felt I got more rhythm. That is why we play, to get out on the field. I felt the guys in front of me did a really good job in these last three games. It has been a pleasure and I’m going to keep working hard to get back out there,” said the 25-year-old goalkeeper to City’s YouTube channel.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?