Real Madrid team news: Ramos, Varane, Chust
Real Madrid returned to training this Sunday to prepare for their opening Copa del Rey tie against Segunda Division B side Alcoyano on Wednesday.
Real Madrid returned to work after a two-and-a-half break that coach Zinedine Zidane gave to the squad following the defeat to Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish Super Cup semi-final last Thursday.
The biggest news from Sunday afternoon’s training session in Valdebebas was the absence of the two starting central defenders, Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane.
Ramos limped off after the game against Athletic in Malaga, while Varane had to be substituted at half-time after receiving a heavy blow.
Neither player will be available for the Copa del Rey last-16 tie against Segunda Division B side Alcoyano. But Zizou is confident that he will be able to count on both players again for the league match against Alavés in Mendizorroza next Saturday.
Chust makes Real Madrid first team
Faced with these injuries, the French coach has called up Víctor Chust from the Castilla ranks. The Valencian-born central defender will serve as back-up to Nacho and Militao, who will likely start in central defence. Another Castilla player, midfielder Antonio Blanco, also trained with the first team and could be in line for minutes against Alcoyano on Wednesday.
Madrid will still have two more training sessions on Monday and Tuesday to prepare for their opening Copa del Rey fixture of the 2020/21 season – a game for which Zidane is likely to make several rotations.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | DAY 12 Tokyo Olympics: China lead as Japan and Great Britain climb
- TOKYO OLYMPICS De Grasse succeeds Bolt as McLaughlin breaks record
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Australia vs USA: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL USA vs Australia: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Marathon rules, distance and course at the Tokyo 2021 Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBAL How many Olympic medals does LeBron James have?