Former Chiefs assistant Reid charged with felony DWI

Former Kansas City Chiefs assistant has been charged with felony DWI after February crash that left a 5-year old girl in the hospital with severe injuries.

Chiefs ex assistant charged with DWI

Former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid was charged on Monday with driving while intoxicated during a February crash near Arrowhead Stadium that left a 5-year-old girl severely injured, the prosecutor's office in Jackson County, Missouri, said.

Ried was travelling over 80 mph at time of crash

A police investigation determined that Reid, 35, who is the son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, was driving a truck that was traveling nearly 84 miles per hour (135 kph) just before the crash, prosecutors said.

A test of his blood serum after the crash showed his blood alcohol concentration to be at 0.113, according to prosecutors. If convicted of the Class-D felony DWI, Reid could face up to seven years in prison, according to media reports.

Five year old girl still suffering severe injuries after the February crash

The girl injured in the crash, according to medical records, suffered severe traumatic brain injury, a parietal fracture, brain contusions and subdural hematomas. Last month, an attorney for the girl's family said her prognosis was 'grim' and that it is believed she will have lifelong brain damage. 'We are going to be advocating for the most serious charges and the most serious sentence that Britt Reid could receive,' attorney Tom Porto told ABC's 'Good Morning America.' Reuters was unable to immediately reach Reid or a representative for comment. Porto did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The crash happened three days before the Chiefs loss in the Super Bowl

The Feb. 4 crash, where Reid's truck struck a disabled vehicle that was pulled over to the side of the road, came three days before the Chiefs lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the Super Bowl in Tampa, Florida. Reid, who was hospitalized and needed surgery for injuries he sustained in the crash, did not make the trip to Tampa and is no longer with the team.

'The Kansas City Chiefs organization remains steadfast in our concern for all who have been impacted by this tragic accident,' the team said in a statement on Monday. 'The Chiefs are regularly in contact with the family's designated representative during this challenging time.'