Which actresses have won the most Oscars Awards ever?
Ahead of this weekend's Oscars ceremony, we look back at some of the big screen's most famous actresses and winners of the famous statue.
One of the most important high profile awards at the Oscars is that of Best Actress. Over time, several actresses have been lucky enough to secure the highest prize from the Academy on a number of occasions as we look back at past winners revealing a veritable 'who's who' in the history of celluloid.
Best actress Oscar winners
The Oscar for the best actress has been awarded since 1928 and a total of 14 actresses have won the award more than once: The following is a list of the two time winners:
- Luise Rainer
- Bette Davis
- Olivia de Havilland
- Vivien Leigh
- Elizabeth Taylor
- Glenda Jackson
- Jane Fonda
- Sally Field
- Jodie Foster
- Hilary Swank
- Frances McDormand
The actress with the most Oscars is Katharine Hepburn scooping her awards in: 1933, 1967, 1968, and 1981. The films for which she won the award were: Morning Glory, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Lion in Winter, and On Golden Pond. Both Ingrid Bergman and Meryl Streep have secured three Best Actress awards through the years.
Other actresses record at the Oscars
Meryl Streep is the actress who has been nominated the most times for the Oscars with 21 nominations with the American actress holding the record in this category.
The youngest winner was Marlee Matlin with a 21-year-old, thanks to her performance in the movie Children of a Lesser God in 1986.
Halle Berry was the first African-American actress to win the best actress Oscar for her performance in Monster's Ball during the 2001 ceremony.
Nominated for Best Actress in 2021
In this edition of the Oscars 2021, the actresses nominated for best performance are the following:
- Viola Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)
- Andra Day (The United States vs. Billie Holiday)
- Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)
- Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
- Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)
Recommended in English
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers’ net worth?
- NFL Aaron Rodgers calls out Biden's 'fake White House' after vaccine spat
- NFL How and where to watch Bills v Chiefs: Kickoff time, TV channel, live stream
- NFL 49ers 13 vs. 10 Packers summary: Gould FG seals Niners win, stats, and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Burrow sacked nine times in Bengals win over Titans
- NFL Chiefs Tyreek Hill fined $12K for pom-pom celebration vs Steelers