Who are the top scorers in the history of the European Championship?
A breakdown of all the players who have excelled in the goalscoring stakes throughout the 60-year history of the UEFA European Championship.
Harry Kane has 90 minutes - or 120 if extra time is required in Sunday's Euro 2020 final - to find two goals that would make the England striker the undisputed top scorer at the tournament and the recipient of the Golden Boot. As it stands, Cristiano Ronaldo will claim the individual award ahead of Czech Republic striker Patrik Schick as the Portugal captain also has an assist to his name, the criteria by which UEFA separates a tie-break. If Ronaldo and Kane are tied on goals and assists when the final whistle blows at Wembley, the one with the fewest number of minutes on the pitch will claim the title.
It was not until the 1996 UEFA European Championship in England that the Golden Boot was officially awarded to the most prolific goalscorer. The first winner of the top scorer award was Alan Shearer, with five goals scored during that competition.
Platini's French connection
9 – Michel Platini holds the record for the most goals scored in a UEFA EURO finals competition, helping France to the 1984 title with nine goals. King. #100DaysToGo #EURO2020 pic.twitter.com/K6tM5AeNYo— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) March 3, 2021
One of the most memorable goalscoring performances in the history of the Euros came during the 1984 competition held in France, when Michel Platini scored an incredible nine goals in five games on the way to winning the title on his home soil. This record has never been broken. Another France player, Antoine Griezmann, came closest with six goals during the last edition of the European Championship, which was also held in France.
The Juventus pedigree
Former UEFA president Platini was also the leading overall goalscorer together with Cristiano Ronaldo, both having scored nine goals at the finals. However, the Portugal captain's five at Euro 2020 has landed the prolific forward another record as the all-time leading scorer at the European Championship.
Overall top Euros goalscorers
- Cristiano Ronaldo - Portugal 14 goals (25 matches)
- Michel Platini - France 9 goals (5 matches)
- Alan Shearer - England 7 goals (9 matches)
- Antoine Griezmann - France 6 goals (7 matches)
- Ruud Van Nistelrooy - Netherlands 6 goals (8 matches)
- Patrick Kluivert - Netherlands 6 goals (9 matches)
- Wayne Rooney - England 6 goals (10 matches)
- Thierry Henry - France 6 goals (11 matches)
- Zlatan Ibrahimović - Sweden 6 goals (13 matches)
- Nuno Gomes - Portugal 6 goals (14 matches)
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Woodley gets ‘I love Jake Paul’ tattoo, wants rematch
- US NEWS What is the meaning of racketeering? How long is a racketeering charge sentence?
- Porter agrees to max extension with Nuggets
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS What qualifies a child for social security benefits?
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- MLB Yankees move ahead as the AL Wild Card chase enters final furlong