Which city has hosted the most Olympics?
As Tokyo prepares to stage the 2021 Summer Games, which will be their second time, we take a look at the Olympics' most frequent hosting cities.
London has hosted the Summer Olympics more often than any other city, having been the venue for the Games on three occasions.
The UK capital hosted the event in 1908, 1948 and 2012.
Olympic Games news:
Paris, LA to join London as three-time Summer Olympics hosts
The city won’t be the only three-time Summer Olympics host for much longer, though: Paris is due to stage its third edition of the Games in 2024, before Los Angeles follows suit in 2028.
Paris has previously held the Summer Olympics in 1900 and 1924, while LA was the venue for the 1932 and 1984 Games.
Athens (1896 and 2004) is currently the only other city to have held the Summer Games on multiple occasions, although Tokyo is in line to join this select club when it hosts the delayed 2020 Olympics this summer.
The Japanese capital was also the stage for the event in 1964.
Three two-time hosts of the Winter Olympics
When it comes to the Winter Olympics, there are three locations that have been the venue more than once. Innsbruck (1964 and 1976), Lake Placid (1932 and 1980) and St Moritz (1928 and 1948) have each had the Games twice.
They are to be joined by Cortina d’Ampezzo when the Italian town, which was previously host in 1956, stages the Winter Olympics in 2026.
No city has yet hosted both the Summer and Winter Olympics - but that is set to change when Beijing, which put on the Summer Games in 2008, stages the Winter Games in 2022.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59
- NFL Trey Lance bringing the best out of Jimmy Garoppolo at 49ers
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd earn bronze for USA in thriller
- Tokyo Olympics Tokyo Olympics: Reaching the start line was a miracle – Johnson-Thompson explains injury fightback
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?