Leicester vs. Napoli followed by clashes ending in arrest of nine
Napoli and Leicester City fans clashed in and outside the ground on Thursday, resulting in several arrests being made.
Nine men were arrested following clashes ahead of Thursday's Europa League game between Leicester City and Napoli at the King Power Stadium.
Eight out of nine reported to be Napoli fans
Trouble flared both in and outside the ground, with eight of those arrested by Leicestershire Police identified as fans of Serie A club Napoli.
It was also confirmed on Friday that a man from Leicester was detained on suspicion of violent disorder.
Nine men were arrested yesterday after violence and between Napoli and Leicester City supporters.— Times Sport (@TimesSport) September 17, 2021
Footage emerged before the match of clashes between the fans in the city centre and eight Napoli supporters were arrested at the scene. https://t.co/ubw0rES1eK
"Nine men were arrested yesterday evening (Thursday, September 16) following a report of football-related violence in Leicester," a Leicestershire Police statement said.
"Shortly before 6pm, police received a report of a fight taking place in Millstone Lane involving fans of Napoli and Leicester City.
"Eight men, identified as Napoli fans, were arrested at the scene in connection with the incident. Following further enquiries, a 27-year-old man from Leicester was later arrested on suspicion of violent disorder.
All nine remain in custody
"All men remain in custody at this time.
"Prior to the match taking place, a report was received that a taxi driver had been racially abused. A 39-year-old man from Italy was subsequently arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence. He has been dealt with by way of a community resolution."
Leicester and Napoli fans also threw objects at each other towards the end of a game that finished 2-2.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check Update: what's the situation in every state?
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- US NEWS Camera crew walk-off in the hours before Alec Baldwin fatally shot Halyna Hutchins
- US NEWS What states saw the highest number of workers quit this summer?