Seattle Sounders book their ticket to the 2021 MLS Cup playoffs
The Sounders defeated Vancouver Whitecaps 4-1 on Saturday night at the Lumen Field to clinch their 13th consecutive playoff spot.
The Seattle Sounders have become one of the best teams in Major League Soccer over the past five years and on Saturday, they set a new record by clinching their 13th consecutive playoff spot. The Sounders defeated Vancouver Whitecaps 4-1 on Saturday night at Lumen Field to extend one of the longest active streaks in the history of any North American sport, including NFL, MLB and NHL.
13 Seasons.— Seattle Sounders FC (@SoundersFC) October 10, 2021
13 Postseasons. pic.twitter.com/2MyflYVMcb
On Seattle making the playoffs
“The consistency of our franchise has been that we take pride in what we do,” Sounders coach Brian Schmetzer said. “We take pride in the job that we’re asked to do. The fans that have stuck with us through all of these years are the real winners. The people tonight were great.
“I think the identity of the team is coming into focus," added Schmetzer. “We know how we want to play, at home or away. And if we make small changes in personnel or small changes in tactics, overall the team knows exactly who they are and how they want to play.”
Seattle sit comfortably at the top of the Western Conference in the 2021 Major League Soccer regular season with 57 points. They have a five point gap ahead of second-place Sporting Kansas City and they have six games left in the campaign, before they make another run for the MLS Cup title.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play