Times of great upheaval are approaching
It turns out that the constant bickering between LaLiga chief Javier Tebas and Spanish Football Federation president Luis Rubiales is quite an innocent standoff when compared to what is going on outside Spain. That fight between Tebas and Rubiales is uncomfortable to see but it can’t really hurt our football here in Spain. But abroad, things are much more serious.
FIFA boss Gianni Infantino distrusts his UEFA counterpart Aleksander Ceferin, hence why he gave his stealthy support to the Super League plot. Along with Real Madrid’s Florentino Peréz, the head of that plot was Juventus president Andrea Agnelli, Ceferin's compadre, and, until the Super League controversy, president of the European Club Association (ECA), which is integrated into UEFA.
Ceferin was so enraged over the fiasco that he passed the presidency of the ECA to PSG boss Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, who is loyal to UEFA when it comes to the Super League issue.
Over in South America, Argentina and Brazil have been confronted by the assault of the Brazilian health police in the last match between the pair, which has left an ugly problem on Infantino's table. Meanwhile, Infantino has created an even bigger problem for himself with the launch of his idea for a biennial World Cup.
Football has come this far through goodwill pacts between the different organizations. This is how club football and international football have coexisted. FIFA and the confederations, with UEFA and CONMEBOL being the most powerful, have coexisted harmoniously, as have the richest clubs (now grouped together in the ECA) with the less wealthy.
But financial greed associated with television revenues has been highlighted as a war to occupy the calendar has been unleashed. FIFA and its confederations have lost moral authority due to the episodes of corruption and the wealthy clubs are already able to campaign for their respect. Times of great upheaval are approaching.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play