NYCFC's Valentín Castellanos wins the 2021 MLS golden boot
Castellanos becomes the first Argentine player in Major League Soccer to win the trophy and the first to do so in New York City FC's history.
Mission accomplished for New York City FC and Valentín Castellanos at the end of the 2021 MLS regular season. The team from New York clinched a playoff spot after finishing in fourth place in the Eastern Conference with 51 points and a record of 14W-9D-11L.
Castellanos makes history in MLS
Also, Valentín Castellanos scored 19 goals in 34 matches - two of them coming on the final day of the regular campaign on Decision Day. ‘Taty’ became the first player from Argentina and NYCFC to win the Golden Boot award in the history of the league.
Castellanos was given the honor thanks to the fact that he gave more assists than DC United’s Ola Kamara, who scored the same amount of goals (19). The Argentine finished the campaign with eight assists, while Kamara only gave five. Castellanos started the 2021 MLS season scoring a goal in the first four matches.
In the middle of the season he was on point and scored nine more in 11 games to keep his hopes alive to win the Golden Boot. Castellanos finished the campaign by scoring six goals in the last four games and helped his team book their ticket to the playoffs this year.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22