Tax Season 2022: documents the IRS will send and when will you receive them
Tax filing for your 2021 return begins soon, and the IRS will be sending a list of what you need to do to ensure your taxes are in order.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has announced that the tax season will begin on Monday January 24, giving Americans the opportunity to file their tax returns for 2021. After a year of more stimulus checks, and for many the expanded Child Tax Credit, the organization recommends starting as soon as possible to help them avoid delays with refunds and tax credits. The deadline for filing your returns outside an extension is April 19.
Some people may also be in line for the third stimulus check in the form of the Recovery Rebate credit, if they missed out on the stimulus check back in March 2021.
To facilitate as easy-a-filing as possible, the IRS will be sending multiple letters and documents to let you know what you need to pay, or money you can be eligible to receive.
- IRS Tax Refunds 2022: which taxpayers will receive the largest payments?
- $1,400 stimulus check in 2022: How do families that missed out in 2021 receive it?
- Stimulus checks in 2021: how will it affect the 2022 Tax Return?
- Stimulus check 2022 requirements: could you receive it if you didn't apply for it in 2021?
What letters will be sent?
One document, Letter 6419, has been sent out since late December. The letter contains important information that can help ensure the return for the 2021 advance Child Tax Credit is accurate.
Eligible taxpayers who received advance Child Tax Credit payments need to file a 2021 tax return to receive the second half of the credit. Eligible taxpayers who did not receive advance Child Tax Credit payments can claim the full credit by filing a tax return, meaning no one who is eligible should miss out
Another, Letter 6475, about 'Your Third Economic Impact Payment', will be sent to individuals who received a third stimulus check in 2021. This letter will tell individuals if they are eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit, basically the third stimulus check, but if they missed it the first time around. If so, they must file a 2021 tax return to claim their remaining stimulus amount. This is expected to be arriving in mail boxes by the end of January.
What are the best ways to monitor your taxes?
The IRS website has information for your personal information, including balance, payments, and tax records including adjusted gross income.
There’s no reason to force Americans to deal with profit-seeking middlemen when they’re trying to file their taxes. It’s long past time for the IRS to use its power to create its own free tax preparation and filing system.https://t.co/HweAkjfgm5— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) January 10, 2022
It also encourages taxpayers to submit their estimated payments by January 18 to avoid penalties.
Recommended in English
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers’ net worth?
- NFL Aaron Rodgers calls out Biden's 'fake White House' after vaccine spat
- NFL How and where to watch Bills v Chiefs: Kickoff time, TV channel, live stream
- NFL 49ers 13 vs. 10 Packers summary: Gould FG seals Niners win, stats, and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Burrow sacked nine times in Bengals win over Titans
- NFL Chiefs Tyreek Hill fined $12K for pom-pom celebration vs Steelers