Six-year-old boy dies after being bitten by a rattlesnake
The minor was taking a bike ride with his father and sister when the snake bit him. The tragedy occurred in Bluestem Prairie Park, Colorado.
Tragedy in the state of Colorado, where a six-year-old boy has died after being bitten by a rattlesnake. The events took place in Bluestem Prairie Park.
Around eight in the afternoon on July 5, Simon Currat was riding a bicycle with his father and sister through the beauty spot.
During a stop to take a break and drink water, a rattlesnake appeared on the path they were on.
Neighbors helped after hearing cries for assistance
Fire Department Chief Derek Chambers explained that Simon was running ahead of his father and sister in order to observe the one-mile sign. According to Chambers, just seconds later, his father heard the boy yell “rattlesnake” and immediately went towards him.
The father, who had forgotten his mobile, took his son in his arms and headed for the neighborhood closest to the area of the incident. There, the neighbors heard the cries for help and called 911.
Five minutes after the call, Fire Chief Chambers arrived at the scene, where he called a helicopter for Simon Currat to be rushed to a local hospital.
From there, the boy was taken to Aurora Children’s Hospital, where they were able to provide more specialized treatment. However, despite medical efforts, the boy ended up dying four days later, on July 9, due to the snake bite.
Are rattlesnake bites often deadly?
Rattlesnake bites are rarely fatal, but children are at higher risk than adults, as are people with weak immune systems.
On average there are less than 10 deaths from rattlesnake bites every year in the US.
Rattlesnakes are generally not aggressive but will strike when they feel threatened. Most bites occur between the months of April and October when snakes and humans are most active outdoors.
The most important thing to do if bitten by a rattlesnake is seek medical help as soon as possible. The outlook for most rattlesnake bites is good if emergency care is delivered as soon as possible after the bite. Ideally, care should begin within 30 minutes after being bitten. If left untreated bodily functions will be impaired and death may occur in the days after the bite.
If bitten do not cut the wound, try to suck the venom from the wound or use a tourniquet as these methods have been shown to be ineffective.
Stay as still as possible to lower blood flow and try to ensure the venom circulates as little as possible in your body. Let the wound bleed, as that may allow some of the venom to dissipate.
To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?