The Weeknd cancels show in LA: What happened and will there be a new date?
The Weeknd stunned concertgoers Saturday night at the sold-out SoFi Stadium when he abruptly ended his performance mid-song just minutes after it started.
The Weeknd stunned the audience at the SoFi Stadium Saturday night when he abruptly ended the show mid-song, walking off stage. He returned a little while later to personally explain and apologize to the 70,000 crowd for why he could not finish the show, saying that he would make sure they got their money back.
“This is killing me. I don’t want to stop the show. But I can’t give you the concert I want to give you right now.” He told concertgoers that he would “do a show real soon.” The show was the second of two sold-out performances in Inglewood, California of his “After Hours Til Dawn” tour which kicked off in July.
The Weeknd was just 15 minutes into the show when he pulled the plug
The Weeknd, aka Abel Tesfaye, was in the middle of singing his hit “Can’t Feel My Face”, the fourth song of what had been scheduled to be a 29-song set, when he stopped his performance. Moments later he was back on stage to apologize for walking off.
“I don’t know what just happened when I screamed, but I just lost my voice,” Tesfaye told the bewildered audience. “I wanted to come out and personally apologize and not tweet it or instagram it.”
“I’m going to make sure everyone’s good, you’ll get your money back. But I’ll do a show real soon for you guys,” he added. “I’m so sorry. I love you guys. Thank you so much.” The 32-year-old superstar was visibly upset that he could not continue with the show, searching for more words to convey his own disappointment.
He later posted another apology on Twitter to his fans. “My voice went out during the first song and I’m devastated. Felt it go and my heart stopped,” he wrote. “My deepest apologies to my fans here. I promise I’ll make it up to you with a new date.”
Not the first time The Weeknd’s tour has had issues
The Weeknd’s tour, which had previously been postponed due to the pandemic, had been set to kick off in January this year on a smaller scale. However, citing demand for more shows and the constraints of smaller venues for the vision of the show he wanted to give audiences, “something bigger and special,” the tour was pushed back to the summer of 2022.
The opening night of the “After Hours Til Dawn” tour was supposed to be in The Weeknd’s hometown of Toronto on 8 July. But a widespread network outage at Rogers Communications Inc that affected mobile and internet access across Canada forced a last-minute cancelation. A new date has been set for 22 September, the next stop of the tour.
No date has been given yet for a makeup performance at the SoFi Stadium.
To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?