“Stop creating smoke”: Sergio Ramos hits out at Rayados chief
In a social-media post, the former Monterrey defender responded to recent remarks by the Liga MX club’s president.

Sergio Ramos spent 2025 with Monterrey, before officially parting ways with the Liga MX club in December. Yet even after the Spaniard’s departure, storylines from his time in Mexico continue to surface.
One of the latest involves the occasions on which Ramos was granted special leave by the club to travel - whether for concerts or high‑profile events like the Grammy Awards. That topic resurfaced after Monterrey’s president, José Antonio “Tato” Noriega, recently addressed it.
“We didn’t anticipate it”
In an interview with RG La Deportiva, Noriega was asked about those situations. He explained that Ramos’s leave was handled as it arose and was not part of any pre‑arranged agreement when the veteran arrived.
“It would come up and it caught our attention,” Noriega said. “We didn’t anticipate it. It happened, and it’s not as if it created a major problem, but it could maybe come at a less‑than‑ideal moment. It wasn’t discussed beforehand.”
"Fue surgiendo. No lo esperábamos (las situaciones de Sergio Ramos como ser cantante e ir a los Premios Grammy)"
— RG La Deportiva (@rg690) February 18, 2026
🎙️: José Antonio Noriega#Rayados #LigaMX pic.twitter.com/TqxO5ULqgR
“Stop feeding the press”
A Rayados‑focused social-media page later shared Noriega’s comments as an image, which eventually reached Ramos himself. The defender replied directly, criticizing Noriega and insisting that every trip had been approved by the executive - including the one for the Grammys.
“‘Tato’ is the one who gave me permission,” the former Real Madrid and Spain captain said. “He should stop creating smoke and stop feeding the press. He should focus on the club, his players, and giving joy to the fans, who deserve it. He gave permission to other players too, but they don’t mention that - they cover it up. All the best to Rayados, always. Monterrey forever!!”
Sergio Ramos nos respondió en una de nuestras publicaciones ante las declaraciones del ‘Tato’ Noriega 💣💣💣 pic.twitter.com/eimINaYFo7
— DLPTLV (@dlptlv) February 19, 2026
Ramos left Monterrey after just one year, as the contract renewal that once seemed likely never materialized before the deal expired. He is currently without a club, though he has not announced his retirement from professional soccer.
Related stories
Get your game on! Whether you’re into NFL touchdowns, NBA buzzer-beaters, world-class soccer goals, or MLB home runs, our app has it all.
Dive into live coverage, expert insights, breaking news, exclusive videos, and more – plus, stay updated on the latest in current affairs and entertainment. Download now for all-access coverage, right at your fingertips – anytime, anywhere.


Complete your personal details to comment