Trending topics Más temas


Wales secure ninth straight win over Scotland

Wales secure ninth straight win over Scotland

Wales continued their Six Nations dominance over Scotland with a hard-fought 27-23 triumph at the Principality Stadium on Saturday .

A seventh minute solo try from Gareth Davies had put Warren Gatland's men in front, before Scotland took control.

Tommy Seymour crossed five minutes later and three penalties from Greig Laidlaw put Scotland in position to end their 14-year wait for a win in Cardiff.

But a late flourish from the hosts saw Jamie Roberts crash over, before George North sealed a ninth-straight victory.

Duncan Taylor darted over in the 80th minute, but it was too little, too late for Scotland.

The three-try triumph puts Wales firmly in the Six Nations title race after their opening 16-16 draw with Ireland.

Unlike last weekend at the Aviva Stadium, Wales made a fast start and were ahead after seven minutes.

Outside-half Dan Biggar had shaken off an ankle injury to start the match, and his well weighted chip through allowed Roberts to slap the ball back to scrum-half Davies.

And the Scarlets man could not be stopped as he sprinted his way past the covering Seymour and Stuart Hogg for his sixth try in seven test matches.

Biggar converted, but another clever kick, this time from Scotland outside-half Finn Russell, pulled the visitors level five minutes later.

Vern Cotter's side went through 21 phases in attack before the ball was worked to the Scotland stand-off.

He delivered a perfectly weighted kick into the Wales in-goal area, and Seymour was on-hand to touch down to match Davies's record of six scores in seven. Captain Ladlaw landed the conversion to tie the scores at 7-7.

Scotland suffered a blow on the half-hour mark when Hogg collided with Wales hooker Scott Baldwin and was forced off with an injury.

But they were ahead a minute later. Justin Tipuric held on to the ball at a ruck and referee George Clancy awarded a penalty just inside the Wales half.

Laidlaw was on-target with the long-range penalty goal to give Scotland a three-point lead.

But the Welsh scrum was proving a dangerous weapon for Warren Gatland's side, and a powerful shunt saw them win a penalty from 40 metres out.

Biggar levelled the scores at 10-10, but Laidlaw struck a late penalty goal to give his side a 13-10 half-time lead.

Scotland surrendered their lead four minutes into the second-half after their backline went offside and Biggar converted another penalty.

But Laidlaw kicked the Scots ahead once again after a powerful scrum forced a penalty.

Cotter's side looked to ram home their advantage with another wave of attack, but flanker John Hardie's knock-on almost led to a Wales try.

Wing Tom James scooped up the loose ball and charged 70 metres downfield, but Duncan Taylor closed down the angle to stop him just short.

Wales hammered at the Scotland line through Roberts, Ken Owens and Jonathan Davies but all they got was a penalty.

But the breakthrough came after Wales opted to scrummage.

Taulupe Faletau pounced as the ball came out of a fractured scrum, before replacement Dan Lydiate was stopped short.

But centre Roberts crashed through on a devastating angle to touch down, with Biggar converting for a 20-16 lead.

And the victory was wrapped for Wales when North combined with Biggar on a scissors move and beat four Scottish tacklers to score.

Taylor went over in the final minute, but Scotland surrendered possession from the restart and the game was over.