Carolina efforts not enough for Spanish win in first match
The girl from Huelva won her singles and doubles matches but the Spanish women's team went down 3-2 to Bulgaria in the first group game.
The Spanish women's team started their campaign in Kazan, Russia with a defeat to Bulgaria.
In the opening match of the group, Carolina Marín overcame Linda Zetchiri, 21-15 and 21-14, but this advantage was cancelled out in the second singles match with Petya Nedelcheva defeating Beatriz Corrales.
Spain then went on to lose the next singles and doubles matches before world number one Carolina finished the tie with a doubles win alongside Corrales.
The final scores were as follows:
Te recomendamos en English
- Mourinho quips: Will Man Utd get Man City's 2018 title after FFP breach?
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's season set to be determined by the next 30 days
- PORTUGAL Extraordinary scenes as Porto's Marega walks off pitch over racist chants
- REAL MADRID Rodrygo and Vinicius seem inextricably linked
- JUVENTUS Sarri explains reasons for Ronaldo's omission following Juventus win
- Champions League Champions League Istanbul 2020 final match-ball revealed