Carolina efforts not enough for Spanish win in first match
The girl from Huelva won her singles and doubles matches but the Spanish women's team went down 3-2 to Bulgaria in the first group game.
The Spanish women's team started their campaign in Kazan, Russia with a defeat to Bulgaria.
In the opening match of the group, Carolina Marín overcame Linda Zetchiri, 21-15 and 21-14, but this advantage was cancelled out in the second singles match with Petya Nedelcheva defeating Beatriz Corrales.
Spain then went on to lose the next singles and doubles matches before world number one Carolina finished the tie with a doubles win alongside Corrales.
The final scores were as follows:
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Potential Madrid presidential election could influence summer signings
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey: Messi striving to save Barça's season as chaos reigns
- NBA NBA round-up: LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers
- FOOTBALL Ibrahimovic makes Sanremo festival debut: "I have been the best on this stage"
- LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers, Beal sets Wizards record
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | When it is coming & IRS tax return | Live