Gary Cahill to captain England in Germany friendly
The Chelsea central defender will skipper Roy Hodgon's side in Saturday's friendly with World Cup winners Germany in BerlinEngland vs Spain
Chelsea defender Gary Cahill has been named England captain for Saturday's friendly clash with World Cup winners Germany in Berlin.
The 30-year-old centre-back will wear the armband in the absence of Wayne Rooney, who is injured.
"We can confirm that @GaryJCahill will captain #England against @DFB_Team tomorrow," England wrote on their official Twitter account.
This will be just the second time Cahill has skippered the Three Lions from the outset after October's Euro 2016 qualifier at home to Estonia.
England's 22-man squad arrived in Berlin on Friday afternoon and will train at the Olympiastadion after Cahill and manager Roy Hodgson speak to the media.
Recommended in English
- NFL An Eagle no more: Brandon Brooks retires
- NFL Kwesi Adofo-Mensah all set to be named Vikings GM
- NFL NFL free agency 2022: the five best available quarterbacks
- NFC Chiefs injury report: Tyrann Mathieu in concussion protocol
- NBA Where did Kobe Bryant’s “Black Mamba” nickname originate?
- NBA Mourning Kobe Bryant: what's known about the helicopter crash?