Deportivo's Sidnei set to join Barcelona
The Brazilian centre back's Depor contract runs until June 2018 but he is said to have rejected a new deal on the basis of growing interest from Barça.
As far as we have been able to ascertain here at AS, Sidnei and F.C. Barcelona have reached an agreement that will see the Brazilian playing his home games at the Camp Nou next season.
Deportivo de La Coruña, who still owe Benfica three million euros after signing the centre back last year, offered the 26-year-old, who has two years remaining on his contract with the Galician club, a new deal, but Barça’s interest has caused him to turn down the improved conditions.
Rumour of day / summer so far / century, top of AS front page at moment, is Depor CB Sidnei to Barca this summer https://t.co/9q8Q4X3DqK— Dermot Corrigan (@dermotmcorrigan) 25 May 2016
Sources in the Catalan city allege that the South American is already in Barcelona and is set to undergo a medical examination. Sidnei already knows the lay of the land, having played for Espanyol in 2013-14.
Given Vermaelen’s recurring injuries and the over reliance on Mascherano and Piqué, Barça are in desperate need of a replacement centre back. And with Marc Bartra set to leave, the stage looks set for Sidnei to become a culé.
Sidnei was a cornerstone for Depor this season, appearing in 33 league games and racking up 2,897 minutes of playing time.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barça president agrees "3 years could be enough for Valverde"
- PRMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Sadio Mané proud of Ballon d'Or recognition
- SERIE A Inter boss Conte: Fans must support, not whistle us
- Premier League Arsenal ready to pull the plug on Ljungberg after two games
- Villarreal 0-0 Atlético Atlético's scoring drought the worst in 83 top-flight years
- BARCELONA-ESPANYOL The Japanese pearl of the Masia, Kubo returns to Barcelona