Piqué denies bird-flip during anthem: "I was crossing fingers"
The Spain defender moved to quash controversy over a hand gesture during the anthem: "I have never lacked respect".
Gerard Piqué was swift to deny he had shown a lack of respect towards Spain before the Croatia game on Tuesday night, when television cameras picked up the defender appearing to flip the bird during the national anthem. “I think it’s stupid. If I’m here, it’s because I am proud of this team and this family. I did not in any way show a lack of respect towards the anthem, as I have never shown a lack of respect towards this country, or the national team. I hope we can all pull together. These controversies are a highway to nowhere.”
Recommended in English
- FORMULA 1 Lewis Hamilton wants to see change in Saudi Arabia
- SOCIAL SECURITY What is an unrestricted Social Security card? How can I apply for it?
- NFL Bucs' Bruce Arians wants the NFL to look at other teams.
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Betis: times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is the difference between an abortion pill and Plan B?
- SOCCER AC Milan defender Simon Kjaer out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery