Leicester seal €16 million deal for Nampalys Mendy
The Nice midfielder played for Claudio Ranieri at Monaco and has signed a four-year deal at the King Power Stadium.
- Champions League round of 16 second leg : Leicester vs Sevilla live online .
Premier League champions Leicester have signed former France Under-21 midfielder Nampalys Mendy from Nice on a four-year deal, both clubs confirmed on Sunday.
The 24-year-old, who helped Nice to fourth place in Ligue 1 last season, has signed for an undisclosed fee which is reported to be around €16 million ($17.8m).
"I like the Premier League and I follow every match. It's fast and physical and I want to impose myself on the league."
'I am very happy to come to Leicester City. The team have just enjoyed a great season and it's excellent to be here,' Mendy told the club's official website.
'For me I want to play at this level. I like the Premier League and I follow every match. It's fast and physical and I want to impose myself on the league.'
Mendy, who played 110 Ligue 1 games for Nice, worked under Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri during a spell with Monaco, and becomes the club's third signing of the summer after Germany goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler and Spanish defender Luis Hernandez.
'I know the coach, I know his mentality and I know his philosophy. When he speaks it's direct and clear and for me I like this,' he added.
If the transfer fee is confirmed it would be the biggest in Nice's history after striker Loïc Rémy's transfer to Marseille in 2010.
Recommended in English
- NFL An Eagle no more: Brandon Brooks retires
- NFL Kwesi Adofo-Mensah all set to be named Vikings GM
- NFL NFL free agency 2022: the five best available quarterbacks
- NFC Chiefs injury report: Tyrann Mathieu in concussion protocol
- NBA Where did Kobe Bryant’s “Black Mamba” nickname originate?
- NBA Mourning Kobe Bryant: what's known about the helicopter crash?