MESSI INTERNATIONAL RETIREMENT
Cristiano Ronaldo: Not nice seeing Leo Messi in tears
The Portugal captain gave his reaction to Leo Messi's decision to retire from the Argentina team after losing the Copa América final.Barcelona vs Deportivo La Coruña: LaLiga
Real Madrid and Portugal ace Cristiano Ronaldo has offered his thoughts on Leo Messi's retirement from the Argentina national team.
Messi announced the end of his international career after the Albiceleste lost to Chile on penalties in the Copa América final in late June, with the Barcelona star missing his spot-kick in the shoot-out.
Messi begged to reconsider
The 29-year-old's decision has sparked pleas across the South American nation for him to reconsider.
Fans and fellow players have been joined by figures such as Argentine football legend Diego Maradona and the country's president, Mauricio Macri, in calling on Messi to carry on.
"It's not nice seeing Messi in tears"
Speaking ahead of his side's Euro 2016 semi-final against Wales, Portugal captain Cristiano said: "He's taken a tough decision and people must understand it."
The ex-Manchester United man continued: "He [Messi] isn't used to defeats or disappointments; not even finishing second. Missing a penalty doesn't make you a bad player."
And the Real forward, considered Messi's major footballing rival, had words of encouragement: "It's not nice seeing Messi in tears and I hope he returns to the national side."
Te recomendamos en English
- SOCCER Real Madrid's Vinicius outshining his idol Neymar at PSG
- Technology Which phones will no longer support WhatsApp starting on November 1?
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many people will benefit from the Social Security increase in California?
- NFL NFL Commissioner Goodell: WFT probe results won’t be released
- NFL | STEELERS Steelers coach Tomlin says he would 'never' take college job
- NBA | LAKERS Westbrook: "I'm not used to people cheering for me on the road"