"Hamilton went crazy in Baku and destroyed his room" - Lauda
"I was there when Hamilton destroyed his room in Baku, after his disastrous qualifying", says Lauda, who also denies 'swimming pool peace'.
Mercedes team chief Niki Lauda has revealed that Lewis Hamilton lost it after the Baku qualifying lap in which he wrecked his car, destroying his Mercedes motorome changing room in a fit of rage.
The revelation came from the straight-talking Austrian on Monday: “He did it because he had crashed. He’ll have to pay for that [the room]. You can count on that", said three time world champ Lauda.
The smile was back on Hamilton's face after his win in Austria that left him 11 points behind teammate Nico Rosberg on the leaderboard, but the Briton and champion's mistake in Azerbaijan qualifying led to his car laying wrecked against a wall, and he took it out on the changing room.
“He told me I couldn’t come in because he was going to destroy everything", said Lauda, after Hamilton let his anger loose on the motorhome,an indication of the rising tensions in the camp.
Lauda revealing that Hamilton's claims that he and Rosberg are getting on better, and the so-called 'swimming pool peace' were "a lie".
"He does what he can. The fight gets hotter the longer Nico is in front”, explained Lauda on Servus TV.
There is a quiet war going on in the German outfit, and no words of peace seem to be able to calm it, Mercedes will now decide whether to sanction the two drivers and attempt to broker a truce for the sake of the team.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?