Marc Gasol ruled out of Rio Olympics
Spanish basketball star Marc Gasol will miss next month's Games because his injured right foot has not healed in time, the Spanish Basketball Federation said today.
Spanish basketball star Marc Gasol will miss the Olympics in Rio next month because his injured right foot has not healed in time, the Spanish Basketball Federation said Thursday.
The 31-year-old Memphis Grizzlies center broke his right foot in February and underwent surgery to repair it. He missed the rest of the season due to the injury.
In a statement the federation said that “after months of intense work to recover”, Gasol “had not achieved the required medical discharge to make his goal (of going to Rio) a reality, so he will not be able to take part in the Olympic Games”.
Despite the injury, Spain's basketball coach Sergio Scariolo had included Gasol in his preliminary Olympic roster along with his older brother Pau. Scariolo said on Saturday that he maintained “a bit of hope” that Marc, one of Spain's most decorated players, would be ready for the Olympics. Spain's basketball team will play a friendly match against Lithuania later on Thursday in the southern city of Málaga to prepare for the Games.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: will there be a new payment in November?
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, Amy Barret, cases, deaths, updates today
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Early voting in NYC: dates, how to vote and where to find locations near me
- GAMING NEWS Pokémon GO A Spooky Message Unmasked: all research tasks and rewards from Halloween event
- BRAZIL Ronaldinho tests positive for coronavirus
- Covid-19 Economic Crisis Unemployment benefits NY: why was New York denied an extra $300?