Marc Gasol ruled out of Rio Olympics
Spanish basketball star Marc Gasol will miss next month's Games because his injured right foot has not healed in time, the Spanish Basketball Federation said today.
Spanish basketball star Marc Gasol will miss the Olympics in Rio next month because his injured right foot has not healed in time, the Spanish Basketball Federation said Thursday.
The 31-year-old Memphis Grizzlies center broke his right foot in February and underwent surgery to repair it. He missed the rest of the season due to the injury.
In a statement the federation said that “after months of intense work to recover”, Gasol “had not achieved the required medical discharge to make his goal (of going to Rio) a reality, so he will not be able to take part in the Olympic Games”.
Despite the injury, Spain's basketball coach Sergio Scariolo had included Gasol in his preliminary Olympic roster along with his older brother Pau. Scariolo said on Saturday that he maintained “a bit of hope” that Marc, one of Spain's most decorated players, would be ready for the Olympics. Spain's basketball team will play a friendly match against Lithuania later on Thursday in the southern city of Málaga to prepare for the Games.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos vs Cleveland Browns live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 7
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries