FORMULA 1 | HUNGARIAN GP
Rosberg beats Hamilton to pole in chaotic qualifying
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg grabbed pole position ahead of team-mate Lewis Hamilton amid difficult conditions at the Hungaroring.
Nico Rosberg rode his luck to grab pole position for Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix ahead of Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in a prolonged qualifying session punctuated by rainstorms and red flags.
The championship-leading 31-year-old German produced a fastest lap of one minute and 19.965 seconds at the end of a session stretched to nearly two hours by heavy rain and crashes in the hazardous conditions on the twisting Hungaroring circuit.
Defending three-time champion Hamilton, who is just one point off Rosberg after 10 of this year's 21 races, was 0.143 seconds behind his rival as the pair secured their team's sixth front-row lockout of the season.
Hamilton looked to be on course to take pole when on an improved best lap he came across Spaniard Fernando Alonso's McLaren spinning off the track in front of him.
The Briton had to take evasive action, which cost him time, before Rosberg came round and was able to continue without easing off.
The two Red Bulls of Daniel Ricciardo, who was also affected by Alonso's spin, and Dutch teenager Max Verstappen were third and fourth ahead of four-time champion Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari.
Vettel's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen was unable to progress from Q2 in the treacherous conditions.
Spaniards Carlos Sainz of Toro Rosso and Alonso were sixth and seventh ahead of Briton Jenson Button in the second McLaren, Nico Hulkenberg of Force India and Valtteri Bottas of Williams, who was 10th fastest.
Rosberg's success brought him his 26th career pole position and his 50th front-row start for a race he has never won.
Te recomendamos en English
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL George Floyd verdict and closing arguments: what has defense and prosecution stated?
- PLAYSTATION Horizon Zero Dawn free on PS4 and PS5: date, times and how to download
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Overpayment of unemployment benefits: should I give it back?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Why has the demand for vaccines decreased in some states of the country?
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- European Super League Florentino Pérez on European Super League: "We are doing this to save football"