Pareto takes a bow and wins Argentina’s first judo gold
Paula Pareto won Argentina's first ever judo gold medal at the Olympics by beating South Korea's Jeong Bo-Kyeong in the final of the women's 48kg category.
Paula Pareto won Argentina's first ever judo gold medal at the Olympics by beating South Korea's Jeong Bo-Kyeong in the final of the women's 48kg category on Saturday.
Japan's Ami Kondo and Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Kazakhstan took bronze as home favourite and defending champion Sarah Menezes crashed out in the quarter-finals.
Pareto struggled early on in the final and the contest even had to be briefly halted as she received treatment when she took an unintentional blow to the face from Jeong.
However, the 30-year-old battled back to land a waza-ari and defended her advantage to secure the first judo gold of the 2016 Games.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?