Chinese swimmer Chen Xinyi tests positive
Chinese swimmer Chen Xinyi has failed a doping test at the Rio Olympics, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Friday, citing the Chinese Swimming Association (CSA).
Chinese swimmer Chen Xinyi has failed a doping test at the Rio Olympics, the official Xinhua news agency reported Friday, citing the Chinese Swimming Association (CSA).
She tested positive for hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, on Sunday, it said. On that day the 18-year-old took part in the women's 100m butterfly final, finishing fourth.
Chen has applied to the International Olympic Committee for further tests and a hearing, it added. Diuretics increase urination rates and can be used as masking agents to hide the presence of performance-enhancing substances that are screened for in doping tests.
China has already been embroiled in doping controversy in Rio after Australia's Mack Horton called Sun Yang a "drugs cheat", prompting a formal demand for an apology by Chinese officials. Sun, China's most successful swimmer, served a three-month doping ban in 2014, which was only announced retrospectively by Chinese authorities.
In March, the CSA revealed that six Chinese swimmers had tested positive for drugs in the preceding months, although two of them were only given warnings.
Te recomendamos en English
- QATAR 2022 Russian players cleared to compete at World Cup as neutral team
- Champions League Zidane omits Sergio Ramos and Kroos from Brugge squad
- Premier League Three second half goals in 9 minutes enough for Arsenal
- Club World Cup Liverpool eye CWC glory as Flamengo threaten to spoil party
- Premier League Marcelino and Emery in pole position for Premier League posts
- REAL MADRID Madrid hoping to end Lunin and Sanchez loan deals in January