Chinese swimmer Chen Xinyi tests positive
Chinese swimmer Chen Xinyi has failed a doping test at the Rio Olympics, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Friday, citing the Chinese Swimming Association (CSA).
Chinese swimmer Chen Xinyi has failed a doping test at the Rio Olympics, the official Xinhua news agency reported Friday, citing the Chinese Swimming Association (CSA).
She tested positive for hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, on Sunday, it said. On that day the 18-year-old took part in the women's 100m butterfly final, finishing fourth.
Chen has applied to the International Olympic Committee for further tests and a hearing, it added. Diuretics increase urination rates and can be used as masking agents to hide the presence of performance-enhancing substances that are screened for in doping tests.
China has already been embroiled in doping controversy in Rio after Australia's Mack Horton called Sun Yang a "drugs cheat", prompting a formal demand for an apology by Chinese officials. Sun, China's most successful swimmer, served a three-month doping ban in 2014, which was only announced retrospectively by Chinese authorities.
In March, the CSA revealed that six Chinese swimmers had tested positive for drugs in the preceding months, although two of them were only given warnings.
Te recomendamos en English
- MANCHESTER UNITED Pogba nowhere near ready for Man Utd return, says Solskjaer
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Marcelo has become a liability
- MANCHESTER CITY Guardiola "100 percent" behind City after Champions League ban
- BARCELONA Messi on Barcelona social media scandal: "It's a strange subject"
- VAR Wenger VAR offside proposal ruled out by IFAB for now
- MANCHESTER UNITED Van Persie: Man Utd can't keep changing coaches, give Solskjaer time