Del Potro: Rio silver-medallist handed US Open wild card
The Argentine saw off Novak Djovokic and Rafa Nadal at the Olympics before defeat to Andy Murray in the gold-medal match.
Juan Martín del Potro was on Tuesday rewarded for his dramatic run to the Olympics final with a wild card into the US Open, the tournament where he made his name as champion in 2009.
Victories over Djokovic and Nadal in Rio
The 27-year-old Argentine defied his world ranking of 141 to beat Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal on his way to the Olympic gold-medal match in Rio on Sunday.
After a four-hour marathon final, the exhausted former world number four was defeated by defending champion Andy Murray and had to be content with a silver medal.
Del Potro's career went into a tailspin after his US Open triumph with three wrist surgeries pushing him to the brink of retirement.
The United States Tennis Association also awarded wild cards to Olympic mixed doubles silver medalist Rajeev Ram and American youngsters Bjorn Fratangelo and Frances Tiafoe.
In the women's singles, wild card recipients included Olympic mixed doubles gold medallist Bethanie Mattek-Sands and France's Virginie Razzano.
The US Open, the final Grand Slam of the year, gets underway in New York on 29 August.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 at Black Friday: restock times and deals at Walmart, GameStop, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Stimulus check: what to do if the deadline has passed?
- THANKSGIVING Bank opening hours on Thanksgiving 2020: Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs
- US NEWS How to cook turkey - recipes for Thanksgiving: time, temperature in oven, seasoning...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: why are economists calling for a new payment?
- Thanksgiving Stores opening hours in Thanksgiving 2020: Walmart, Target, Costco...
- BARCELONA Two USMNT players make history with Barcelona in Champions League
- BARCELONA Jordi Alba predicts USMNT's Dest to become Barcelona star
- BARCELONA Koeman says nothing behind 'happy' Griezmann not starting in against Kiev
- Champions League Real Madrid's San Siro woe, Lewandowski targets Raul
- FIFA Best Awards Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé among FIFA 2020 Best candidates
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Inter Milan vs Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020: when does it start and finish?