Biles: four-gold gymnast to carry US flag at Rio closing ceremony
Simone Biles has been rewarded for her five-medal haul at her maiden Games by becoming only the second American gymnast to be handed the honour.
Gymnast Simone Biles, winner of four gold medals in her first Olympic Games in Rio, will carry the US flag at the closing ceremony on Sunday, the US Olympic Committee said Saturday.
Biles was chosen by a vote of fellow Team USA members and is just the second gymnast to be named flag bearer for the US, after Alfred Jochim in the opening ceremony in 1936.
Biles won team and individual gold medals in the women's all-around, vault and floor exercise, also adding a fifth medal - bronze - on balance beam.
The 19-year-old is the first American gymnast to win four golds at a single Games.
She is one of only four women to accomplish the feat in Olympic history, joining Larissa Latynina (1956), Vera Caslavska (1968) and Ekaterina Szabo (1984).
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash