Luis Enrique gives Neymar extra time off after Brazil exploits
The Barcelona forward won't join up with his club until 10 September, following Brazil's games against Ecuador and Colombia
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has decided to give recently-crowned Olympic champion Neymar extra time to recover from his gold-medal winning exploits in Rio, meaning the forward will not run out in the Azulgrana shirt this season until 10 September, when Alavez visit Camp Nou.
Further international duty
Neymar will stay in Brazil until after the international break, and is expected to lead his side out for the games against Ecuador and Colombia.
According to Mundo Deportivo, Enrique will count on Arda Turan as sufficient cover for Neymar, who is carrying an ankle problem and has been under intense media pressure during the Olympics. Despite not starting the tournament well and coming under some heavy criticism, Neymar led Brazil to its first ever Olympic football gold medal on Saturday, scoring the decisive penalty in a shootout against Germany.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?