Barcelona to sue Santos over Gabigol transfer to Inter Milan
Barça president Josep Maria Bartomeu says that Santos did not respect the club’s right to first refusal on the player set out in the deal that brought Neymar to the Camp Nou.
Barcelona to sue Santos
Josep Maria Bartomeu says that Barcelona will sue Brazilian side Santos over the transfer of Gabriel ‘Gabigol’ Barbosa. The club claim that Barbosa, who recently joined Inter Milan for a fee approaching €30 million shortly after winning the Olympic title with Brazil in Rio this summer, was one of the three players to which Barcelona had a right of first refusal set out in a clause inserted in the Neymar transfer deal back in 2013.
Barcelona will act to protect its interests, says Bartomeu
“They haven’t respected the contract,” said the Barcelona president. “They’ve hidden it and we’ll act to protect our interests.” Bartomeu also added that the club is yet to decide whether to take action directly with FIFA or through the Brazilian justice system.
According to the contract signed with Santos, Barcelona had three days to decide whether to exercise their right of first refusal after any bid for Barbosa. The club was informed by Santos of Inter Milan’s bid on the 29th August, meaning that in theory the deadline for a decision was the 1st September. The transfer was, however, officially announced on the 30th August.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7