Pellegrino, a visionary
The spirit of Nan Ribera
We were saying yesterday that Alavés travelled to the Camp Nou with the spirit of the 1999-2000 season. On that occasion, Nan Ribera settled the tie as the side from Vitoria sneaked a 1-0 win. We were also ruminating about Pellegrino's philosophy and how it would ensure his side would compete with Barcelona and even dream of victory.
The Pellegrino vision
There’s no doubt that the man is a visionary and Alavés deserved all the plaudits the received. In the first half, with three centre-backs, they defended against a flat Barça side. When it seemed as though Mathieu’s goal was set to change the dynamic of the encounter, two more goals came: Edgar’s goal, rightly ruled offside, and Gomez’s, the eventual winner.
Binding the side together
Making 18 signings gel and weaving them in with the players that remain from last season, as well as ensuring the defence is tight, the midfield applies pressure and the forward line has the necessary bite, takes time. And time is precisely what Pellegrino has not had this season, which makes Saturday’s result all the more impressive and meant the Alavés coach left the Camp Nou as a hero.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Kroos is having the best season of his Real Madrid career
- World Cup 2022 Work at the Al Bayt stadium almost complete
- Bundesliga Dortmund: Mourinho in line to replace under-fire Favre
- Champions League Pep Guardiola loses patience with slow Stones
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Spurs squad '1000 per cent' behind Pochettino
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Suárez bids to end away drought: Champions League in numbers