Kiev to host the 2018 Champions League final amid security fears
The Ukrainian capital has been chosen to host the event in May 2018 despite fears over the ongoing conflict in the east of the country.
Ukraine to host 2018 Champions League final
UEFA’s Executive Committee announced this morning that the 2018 Champions League final will be held in Kiev despite security fears over the country’s ongoing conflict with pro-Russian separatist rebels in the east of the country. The final will take place in May 2018 at the 70,000 capacity Olympic stadium, which previously hosted the Euro 2012 final between Spain and Italy. Russia will host the 2018 World Cup just a few weeks later.
All security precautions have been taken, says UEFA executive
Speaking anonymously, a member of the Executive Committee reiterated that the UEFA had taken all necessary precautions given the situation in the country: “We have been making sure the security all stands up and the decision was taken with confidence.”
New UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin, elected on Wednesday morning, confirmed the decision: “Ukraine will host the UEFA Champions League final on the 26th May 2018.”
The President of the Ukrainian Football Federation Andriy Pavelko hailed the "historic decision" to host the final in Kiev. "It's an incredible event that will go down in the history of our country," he said.
Theodoridis given permanent post as Secretary General
UEFA also announced that current Acting Secretary General Theodore Theodoridis will take the job on a permanent basis. Theodoridis has been in the role on a provisional basis since previous incumbent Gianni Infantino was elected FIFA President in February.
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston