Tragedy at Paralympics as Iranian cyclist dies
An Iranian Paralympic cyclist died Saturday after an accident in the road race on the penultimate day of the Rio Games, a Paralympic official said
An Iranian Paralympic cyclist died Saturday after an accident in the road race on the penultimate day of the Rio Games, a Paralympic official said.
Bahman Golbarnezhad, 48, fell during the event and died of his injuries despite an attempt to take him to hospital for treatment, officials said.
"He unfortunately passed away," International Paralympic Committee (IPC) spokesman Craig Spence told AFP.
Golbarnezhad's accident occurred during the more than two-hour C4-5 road race for athletes with varying disabilities but still able to cycle. He was in the first section of a mountainous descent when he fell.
Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Iran's Bahman Golbarnezhad, who tragically died after a crash in today's C4-5 road race.— British Cycling (@BritishCycling) September 17, 2016
"The athlete received treatment at the scene and was in the process of being taken to the athlete hospital when he suffered a cardiac arrest," the IPC said in a statement. "The ambulance then diverted to the nearby Unimed Rio Hospital in Barra where he passed away soon after arrival."
Iranian Paralympic officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Te recomendamos en English
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane plotting to stop Messi in El Clásico
- Klopp reveals Keita talks over Liverpool role
- Rumour Has It: Juventus offer Haaland €3m per season
- ALFREDO RELAÑO What a weekend for Messi, Luis Suárez and Joaquín...
- REAL MADRID 4 games in 12 days that could shape Real Madrid's season
- 2019 Gulf Cup Bahrain beat Saudi Arabia to win the 2019 Gulf Cup