Araujo: Las Palmas striker facing drink-drive rap
Las Palmas forward Sergio Araujo is alleged to have tested three times over the legal limit after being stopped early on Monday morning.
UD Las Palmas' Sergio Araujo is alleged to have committed a drink-driving offence early on Monday morning - days after starring for his side against Real Madrid.
The 24-year-old forward is believed to have tested three times over the legal limit when stopped by officers of Spain's Civil Guard.
Player refused to take second breath test
According to Canarias7, Araujo delivered this positive result after undergoing a preliminary breathalyser check using a screening device.
But when asked to take a second examination, known as an evidential breath test - which, unlike the first, is admissible in court - he is said to have refused.
"My president will fix this"
And further reports in Diario de Las Palmas say he had to be warned over his uncooperative attitude, apparently telling officers that the Las Palmas president, Miguel Ángel Ramírez, would "fix this".
The Civil Guard is understood to have reported Araujo for his failure to take the second examination, and submitted the results of his screening test.
Club to "wait for judicial ruling"
Las Palmas on Monday issued a statement declaring they will "wait for a judicial ruling" before taking any further action over the incident.
The LaLiga outfit added that the version of events the Argentine has given them contradicts those appearing in the media.
Araujo Las Palmas' hero at the weekend
On Saturday, Araujo's late equaliser earned Las Palmas a point in the team's 2-2 LaLiga draw against league leaders Real.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS In which states did unemployment claims increase last week?
- CONSTITUTION DAY When was the US Constitution signed?
- US NEWS How will Biden respond to the wave of migrants gathered under a Texas bridge?
- NFL New York Giants 29 vs 33 Washington Football Team summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2
- NFL Nick Gates breaks leg, New York Giants offensive linesman suffers fracture vs Washington
- MLB Angels’ Ohtani’s arm sore, may miss rest of season as pitcher