Iker Muniain: “There are people who think my career is over”
The Athletic midfielder has played only 177 minutes this season after recovering from a serious injury.
Iker Muniain has played just 177 minutes of football in the opening seven weeks of the Liga season. The midfielder was touted as the player to mark a generation when he first emerged at Athletic and is the third-highest paid player in the squad. This is a key season for the 23-year-old after his recovery from a cruciate ligament injury he suffered a year ago.
Valverde's midfield changes
With Raúl García occupying Muniain’s habitual position he has been used mainly on the left, but Ernesto Valverde has preferred Markel Susaeta and against Málaga Sabin Merino played ahead of Muniain.
"I'm giving everything"
Muniain was a child prodigy who made his Athletic debut at 16 and first played for Spain at 19. Now, with two months until his 24th birthday, Muniain faces a struggle to get back to where he was. “There are people who say I’m finished,” he said in a radio interview. “I am not getting much playing time but the injury is forgotten now and I feel great physically. If I scored in every game, I’d be in the starting 11. It’s not through a lack of hard work, I’m giving everything.”
Te recomendamos en English
- UEFA | EUROPA LEAGUE Europa League 2020/21 round of 16 draw: as it happened
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Henderson out until April after surgery on injury
- NFL NFL: Wilson hasn't demanded trade from Seattle Seahawks, says agent
- NBA NBA: Irving, Harden inspire Brooklyn Nets to eighth win in a row
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: what time is the vote in the House?