Colombian law courts open probe into James death threats
CTI Director Luis Alberto Pérez confirmed that the investigation process is already underway. The offence is punishable by a four-eight year prison sentence.Real Madrid-Deportivo: LaLiga matchday 20
James death threats under investigation
A division of Colombia's Public Prosecutor's office, the Cuerpo Técnico de Investigación (CTI), has started investigations into the death threats sent to James Rodríguez and members of his family via cell phone, the government body announced in a press conference on Tuesday.
The CTI has opened a case after receiving a formal complaint by James' mother Pilar Rubio, who posted evidence of the death threats on her own Twitter account on Sunday.
Detecting the origins of the threats
General Director Luis Alberto Pérez explained: "Legión Holk is a group which was possibly formed in Mexico and who are dedicated to intimidation via social media such as Twitter (...) The group has sympathizers in other countries; we will establish from where these threats have originated to determine whether they have come from Colombia or elsewhere".
The threats which James and his family have been subjected to come under the 'Intimidation and Harassment' category, are recognized as a are a criminal offence and carry a prison sentence of between four to eight years. The CTI will request that James' family hand over "all of the evidence to help with the investigations which are already underway".
Quintana also targetted
The CTI added that James Rodríguez is not the only Colombian sportsman to have received death threats, another case, reportedly by the same group involved 2016 Vuelta a España winner Nairo Quintana .
Luis Alberto Pérez
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?