Schalke 04 "shocked" by extent of Breel Embolo injury
The 19-year-old Swiss international could miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on torn ankle ligaments after Augsburg match.
Schalke 04 forward Breel Embolo will be out for four to six months after breaking his ankle and tearing ligaments in their 1-1 Bundesliga draw against Augsburg on Saturday, his club has said.
The hugely talented Swiss teenager, who joined from FC Basel in the close season, had to be stretchered off in the 24th minute after a foul by Konstantinos Stafylidis.
He underwent surgery on Sunday for the injury, a fibular fracture and torn ligaments, that proved more serious than initially expected.
Schalke: "We will support Breel"
"This injury shocked Schalke. We have all seen how Breel despite his just 19 years has quickly become a key player for us," Christian Heidel, Schalke's sports director, said on Sunday.
"We will support him so that he comes back from this serious injury stronger and pick up where he was forced to leave off."
Schalke have been struggling this season and are in 16th place with four points.
Embolo's is the second serious injury suffered by a player brought in last summer after former Sevilla defender Coke snapped a cruciate ligament during a pre-season friendly against Bologna.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Robert Lewandowski's priority is Real Madrid
- QATAR 2022 What cities and stadiums will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup?
- PREMIER LEAGUE United's Pogba: 'We deserved to lose and need to find the problem'
- BARCELONA Dani Alves opens door for sensational Barcelona return
- NFL How does the salary cap of NBA teams work? Trades, extensions, minimum veteran salary
- MLB Houston Astros take Game 1 over Boston Red Sox in ALCS